Paul Hughes is the Walking Group Leader for the Vale of Clwyd Mind. He is a qualified Walking Group Leader, Hill & Moorland Leader and Lowland Leader. He completed his training with the well respected and renowned instructor Phil George who is based at Llanberis and at Plas Y Brenin Outdoor Centre. He has recently completed and passed a Nordic Walking Instructors Course. He is a member of the BMC – British Mountaineering Council and as part of the training he has completed more than 100 walks, mostly in the Vale of Clwyd but also in other areas of the UK, and he is a qualified First Aider.
- Vale of Clwyd Mind have established 2 new groups over the past couple of months, one of which is due to a grant obtained from the BCUHB where we were able to buy Head Torches and establish the Corwen Night Walk, which is great fun!
- The grant paid for numerous Mindful Walking sessions, which have been well received with all who participated.
- Have made new contacts within Denbighshire Countryside Services, who have kindly put all our walks in their latest flyers and promotional items.
- Walk for Health Leaders Course – this was held at Loggerheads and run by Countryside Services and the Ramblers; we had 5 members who are now qualified to do this.
- Nordic Walking Instructors Course – held at Loggerheads and was run by Denbighshire and British Nordic Walking, which Paul Hughes our Volunteer Walking Leader passed.
- We have set up a Facebook page Mind Walking Groups, click on the link below...
We have 7 groups set up and established in the Vale of Clwyd:
Denbigh - Monday & Friday at 11.00 leaving from Trefeirian, numbers averaged 4 per walk and we walk for an hour.
Ruthin - Tuesday at 13.30 leaving from Naylor Centre, numbers here averaged 2 per walk, and we go for about an hour.
Corwen - Tuesday at 09.30 leaving from the Sports Pavilion and we walk for about 2 hours, this is also a Nordic Walk if required.
Wednesday at 9.30 leaving from the Sports Pavilion and we walk for about 2 hours, however if the weather permits, we will go further afield.
Wednesday at 19.00 leaving from the Sports Pavilion, This is the Night Walk and we walk for about 2 hours.
Rhyl - Wednesday at 12.00 leaving from Bedford Street and we walk for about 2 hours.
All the walks cover local easy terrain which is suitable for all abilities (Corwen can be a bit more challenging due to the terrain in and around the town)
Nordic Walking is beneficial for all. It is quite unique in that it provides benefits for everybody from those with medical problems to the super fit. Whatever age, fitness level or goal, - Nordic Walking is suitable, effective and enjoyable.
Tones the upper and lower body at the same time
Uses 90% of the skeletal muscles
Burns up to 46% more calories than ordinary walking
Reduces the pressure on knees and joints
Great for the Heart and Lungs
Ideal for neck, shoulder and back problems
Poles propel the walker along, making it easier to move faster then normal without feeling
It is one of the most effective cross training techniques for athletes and sports people who require ultimate cardiovascular and endurance conditioning.
Can be done anywhere – no need for hills, country paths or even snow!
It appeals to all ages and fitness levels.
No need to wear special exercise clothing
It’s very sociable; participants can chat as they go! It is easy to learn and to keep up. It combines exercise with the nature which has been proven to boost mood.
Become a member of
Vale of Clwyd MindEver thought about
becoming a member?
View a calendar of
all our upcoming events
Please donate to help fund our cause
North Wales & North
Powys Recovery Network
Learn more about